Basilan: Cradle of rich culture and home to Malamawi Island's White Beach

6:43 AM Markee Lakwatsero 0 Comments

You heard it right, Basilan! Known for all year round insurgents. Less likely touristy. Who would love the idea of seeking adventure here? except ME!! lols

I have been travelling a lot for the past 2 year and never been in my wildest dreams to visit Basilan. I saw friends on facebook as well different travel blogs who came here and their feedbacks about the White Beach in Malamawi Island is just so astounding. I am a beach bum and I want to go there by hook or by crook.  If they bravely came and went home safe then why not me?

 
Started my journey at the Zamboanga Port. Presence of heavy and tight security is already visible. Not just police visibility but armies with huge firearms around the port. 
 

Waited for my 12:45pm Weesam Fastcraft trip. Travel time is 45 mins to an hour. Fare is P150. The trip back to Zamboanga City is 4:45pm so one small delay means disaster. Little time but hey I am equiped with multi tasking skills. I still have work online and I need to be back to my pension house in zamboanga city by night. 

They say less visual of your attractive things like jewelries, expensive gadgets, posh bags, vibrant outfits etc around the port means less likely to be a victim. So no welcome or touchdown photos in the Isabela City Port with my gopro cam. No iphone pics. Pero kapag gusto, maraming paraan lols!


Although many advised to get a tour guide for safety purposes, I want to try do it yourself (DIY) there.  Arriving at the port was indeed challenging asking where the tourism office is as police/security are not quite helpful. So I walk around. I began freaking out. Shaking. But I have probably mastered the art of hiding my feelings lols. While walking few steps from the port, one tricycle driver told me he can bring me there. I was hesitant at first but thinking that any small delays would mean misadventure. Quick response and decision is needed. So I took the trike. While inside, I asked the driver that I want to visit the White Beach in Malamawi Island. He told me that going to the tourism office will eat up my time and that I can grab a wooden boat ride immediately to the Island. Then take a Habal-habal ride to the white beach. Approximate travel time he says will be 45 mins. He said he is a christian and he is agood guy and that I need not to worry. Then I felt relief. He seems very helpful and kind to I took his advise. Went back to the port and he referred me his boatman friend to bring me directly to the White Island. 

 
Here is another less costly way to The White Beach:

Motorized boat crossing from Isabela Port to Malamawi Port cost P5 per person but you have to wait to make the boat get full. Or you can make pakyaw the boat for P100 and it will leave right away to the Malamawi port. After, take a Habal-habal for P150 (one way). Total approximate travel time is 45 mins to an hour. 
 

 

To consume less time, I took the boat directly to White Beach for P1,000 (vice versa) and total travel time (one way) is just 15 mins. I saved 45 mins of my time.

 

Arriving at the White Beach was just jaw dropping. White fine sands, crystal clear turquoise waters and the sun is shinning like I am at heaven. Just perfect. I feel safe. I can't imagine that despite of the bad image Basilan has, there is beauty and peace in that island.
 
 

I believed that Basilan is relatively peaceful and safe. Despite of the insurgents issues around, locals are very kind and friendly. Their warm smiles prove that despite of conflicts, they have changed. They have moved on. They are eager to survive and they are asking us to cultivate the richness of their culture. 


Here is my recommended boatman: 
 
His name is Playboy. According to him it is his real name. You can trust him and he can bring you directly to the White Island in Malamawi Island without any hassle. Just ask for his name in the banka terminal and he is famous by that name. You are safe with  with. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments: