Tawi-Tawi

3:23 PM Markee Lakwatsero 0 Comments

My mission is to prove to all that Tawi-Tawi is indeed safe. 
 
 
I am on solo travel. Dunno how many times I have travelled solo. Arrival at the Sanga-Sanga Airport was a bit weird because as we land on the runway, I dont see concrete walls at  the sides of the runway. I was thinking that cow or goats can easily cross the runway. Funny isnt it? Only in Tawi-Tawi indeed. Their airport was name after their town municipality of Sanga-Sanga (pronounced as Sang-ga Sang-ga). Tawi-Tawi's capital city is Bongao. Home of the Tausugs and Badjaos. My tour guide Nursida says that Tausugs usually live on wooden houses beside the sea and the Badjao's live on wooded houses on the sea. Tausugs are more educated than the Badjao. 
 
 
 
Gasoline in Tawi-Tawi is the most expensive among the places I have wandered in the Phillipines. It ranges from P45 to P100. Nursida says, the petroleom from the mainland mindanao causes spike in oil prices (travel cost) due to the far location. They prefer buying petroleum from nearby Malaysia to make it cheaper at available gasoline station (SRP P45). No wonder minimun transportation pay cost P30 (tricycle) for a normal regular route. Mode of public transportations here are trikes, habal-habal motor. 
 
 
 
Bud Bongao on the background. Bud means "Mount". Famous landmark in Tawi-Tawi. Going up there cost P500 for the tour guide. 


My tour guide Nursida, used their trike for our tour around the city and her husband as our driver. They used to work in the local tourism office in Tawi-Tawi. Since we are under the new adminisitration of Duterte, all of them in the office were all replaced with new employees under Duterte's mandate from the head officers down to the regular ones. But according to her, she is still happy because tourists are still looking for her as tour guides. She brought me to her humble abode where she ortiented me the different municipalities and towns of Tawi-tawi. What to expect in Tawi-Tawi. She also invited me for a breakfast for free and since she is no longer working in the local tourism office, she brought all her lecture items including the gigantic map of Tawi-tawi to her house which serves as orientation classroom for tourists.

 
Cebu Pacific Air flies to Tawi-Tawi daily via Zamboanga. 


As I was looking for a place to stay in Tawi-Tawi, (especially I am on a tight budget) is indeed an struggle but Nursida was so patient and positive despite of my choices. I choose Al Mari Beach Resort for only P1,000 per night (good for 2). My roon is already airconditioned, very clean and very spacious. And their breakfast menu serves big portions. I ordered corned beef combo for P150 (which includes Corned beef, Dried danggit, egg and rice plus a drink).

There are so many beautiful beaches in Tawi-Tawi, however they are most likely found on islands away from the Mainland Tawi-tawi. Nursida says that, it takes days to tour them and I only have 24 hrs to stay. So to maximize my stay, I tried to walk around the town. Went to boat-making areas in Sanga-Sanga, went to passages and hall ways on the wooden houses along the sea and wandering around town proper. It was generally peaceful and indeed safe. 
 
 
 

In Sanga-Sanga, locals there are doing Boat making and fishing as well as seaweeds farming. 
 
 
 
 
Inside a wooden boat under construction. Like a mini noah's ark. 


Went to the Chinese pier and to my dismay garbages are just floating anywhere. 



I also saw the Mayor's new grandeur house but the ROAD to the town proper is as laidback as the prehistoric era. I dont know how such government officials can afford to build a very beautiful house yet the community roads and passageways are dated back like jurrasic period. Sad but that is the reality. 

 
I met these kids along the bridge and their smile show how grateful they are. Simple life yet happy and it all that matters to them. 

Tawi-tawi is very safe and peaceful. You can do it on your own (DIY) in Tawi-Tawi. Very beautiful province and amazing people. Well recommended place to visit and better add it on your next bucket list.


For tour guide, Please contact: 
 
Nursida -(0909) 142 7989 
Her house is also open for tourist to stay. Simple abode. She gives free breakfast :-) She also does coordination for island hopping.

For accomodation, please contact:
 
Dr. Aldrin Ibbo -Owner
He speaks cebuano and used to live in cebu during his medical school years before. He is currently volunteer doctor in Tawi-tawi Airport Medical Clinic and he is also the medical director of the provincial hospital in Bongao. 
Al Mari Beach Resort- 09177188095

You Might Also Like

0 comments: